Newsletters are great for staying in touch with customers, prospects, suppliers, staff, attendees at workshops, webinars and other presentations, alliance partners, the media and any other stakeholders.
If you choose to publish a newsletter, decide on either a hard copy or emailed version, the latter being easier to manage in-house but be aware your newsletter will compete with masses (usually) of other emails in the recipients Inbox.
Here are 5 tips that you should consider to kick-start the process:
1. Create your permission-based database if emailing the newsletter. If you don’t have a large database, you can buy an opt-in mailing list. Note that no permission is needed if you want to pop a printed version in the mail, which can be read more often and more thoroughly than e-newsletters. List rental costs can be quite reasonable if you are looking to boost your reach.
2. Make sure you have a measurement strategy and process in place to check its success. You want to measure the number of opens, click throughs, etc. Send out with different subject headings and at different times of the day to see which works best.
For a hard copy, review the number of returns, and how many people take up special offers or act upon information only published in the newsletter. If you can afford it, offer a giveaway of a desirable product that requires the recipient to log on to your Facebook page or website. Make it as easy as possible for them to win or receive this prize.
3. Write engaging content that people want to read and share, and give each story a catchy heading. Make sure it is edited and proofed well and has great accompanying photos and graphics.
4. Develop a relevant and interesting name for the newsletter and ensure the template complements the company’s existing style and graphics. Select and stick to a frequency that you will be able to manage easily in the future.
5. Items that can be included in the newsletter include:
TIP: If you haven’t already, make sure you have a news section on your website. It wants to be the go-to page that contains the newsletter information, white papers, case studies and other news as it happens.
With more than 20 years experience in producing newsletters for clients, WMC Public Relations can create effective and engaging newsletters on your behalf. Please ask us how by calling us on (03) 9803 2588.
T: 0421 364 665